Status Update for 2.0 and 1.6

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sat Dec 30 09:24:06 CET 2006

Current activities

* Cyrille is working on Pigment, re-enabling the HDR stuff and maybe expanding
it with tonemapping.

* Casper has been working on zooming and resolution. Apart from some bugs and
a couple of performance issues, everything seems to work fine. We still need
to set sane values when loading old files.

* Andreas has ported a bunch of tools to flake, I've made it so that the tools
only show up when a paint layer is current.

* I have been working on integrating flake with Krita. My little hospital
adventure did render me incapable of coding for longer than I thought: I had
hoped to be working full-time on 2.0 last week and on 1.6 this week.

State of trunk:

* Pigment is coming along nicely -- even though the hdr colorspaces don't
compile for me
* flakifying: I've got most of the architecture done and am half-way
implementing everything. I'm a bit surprised that painting shapes in a Krita
layer stack doesn't yet work, though.
* repainting is very slow
* still need to improve tablet support by making pairing input devices and
pens to tools (and we need to check whether Qt is better at handling tablet
events than
* need to put the color selector back
* we need to use sane resolution defaults for old files, templates and for new
images
* opengl is still disabled
* Not everything changed and fixed in 1.6 has been ported yet to trunk

Current architecture issues:

* I've decided to make KisPaintDevice a true QPaintDevice. We need to add
resolution to KisPaintDevice to make that truly work: for now a
KisPaintDevice is 72 dots to the inch.

* I've added the beginning of a KisPaintEngine::QPaintEngine. That's something
for Emanuele to complete, but it should be fairly easy to finish & it will
make it possible to paint flake shapes directly onto a KisPaintDevice.

* We're moving with KOffice to QUndoStack. This may give problems with the
transform tool and maybe in other areas

* Still to implement compression in the tile backend; also we need to figure
out how to place stuff from the tiles in the graphics card memory for shaders
to work on. (Have a hierarchy of texture - memory - compressed memory - swap
for tiles).

* Convolution will suck until we can lock a certain area of memory or do
convolution in the graphics card.

Anything else? (Besides: http://wiki.koffice.org/index.php?title=Krita/ToDo)

=============================

As for 1.6... We're in ankle deep ankh-morpork as regards 1.6. The following
bugs are must-fixes, and we need to carefully check all functionality that
works with selections (and selection extents), since between Bart's and my
changes to selection extent handling numerious regressions and new bugs have
been introduced. The following list contains only the bugs I consider
essential to fix for a useful 1.6 release:

  137847   saving a second time to a file format supported by the ma...
  124597   Importing image makes 'new' close current document.
  125446   Compile error on Solaris 8 - colorspaces/rgb_f32/kis_rgb_...
  127443   krita filter (preview) issues
  127903   Importing image with faulty filename extension hangs Krita
  128632   entries in the tools menu don't work as they should
  128746   scan tool doesn't appear in the tools menu

  129444   Weird tablet behaviour with stylus - eraser switching
  132762   First using wacom stylus, then wacom mouse creates issue

(Big one these two: tablet behaviour has gone decidedly non-predictable. On
SuSE it seems impossible to get the tablet to work, and on Kubuntu it happens
often enough that Krita gets confused between mouse and tablet -- and that
needs an X11 restart to get it working again. Most of the times, that is.
Maybe we're making some mistakes in our low-level code? I wish Adrian was
around to look at this...)

  136103   Krita fails to open when non-conforming ICC profile is pr...
  136712   Artifacts when doing rotations with transform tool
  137239   Krita renders colors incorrectly on ppc at least in Blur ...
  137325   Bugs in Scaling algorithms
  137552   Adjustment layers don't work
  137638   Strange Behaviour wih Select All and adjustement layer
  137702   Strange bugs with adjustment layers
  137708   Should be the way to paint on adjustment laeyrs
  138007   Rotating clock-wise (exactly 90 deg) adds an unwanted, un...
  138301   when transparency color is changed, image is enlarged and...
  138502   Zoom cursor doesn't show minus after undoing a paste
  138526   ICC profile makes preferences dialog miles too wide
  138534   "Paste into new image" create to large a canvas
  139336   image gets additional white or black area in preview
  139337   preview doesn’t correspond to resulting image
  139338   rotation creates chess board pattern

In summary, the big things are:

* tranforming (artefacts, transform tool doesn't work properly, especially if
there's a selection, image gets fuzzy when doing a 90,180 or 270 degree
rotation.
* adjustment layers somehow got fragile, probably related to selection stuff.
Besides, it's silly that we paint with gray levels on masks, but with opacity
on adj. layers. We need to make that the same
* some profile and file filter stuff