Krita UI, painting&sketching

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Aug 30 17:51:47 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 30 August 2006 14:32, Alan Horkan wrote:

> Glad you said that.  It is very hard to please everyone/anyone with Zoom
> shortcuts and you invariably need to have more than two.
>
> > - no "press down - pan around"-key (e.g. MMB in GIMP)
> >
> > >   makes pan take more actions than optimal
> > >   ("drag with MMB" vs. "space down&up, LMB drag, space down&up.")
> >
> > We might want to dedicate MMB to this, but that should be coordinated
> > with the
> > other apps in KOffice, for consistency's sake. (I tried to do what
> > Photoshop
> > did, spacebar down, LMB drag, spacebar up, but Qt fought me all the way!)
>
> I would be very careful about copying features like that.  There have been
> users requesting spacebar panning for quite a while and is very likely the
> GIMP will adopt it eventually.  Keep in mind tablet users and others who
> dont have a mouse let alone a middle mouse button (MMB) so even if it was
> implemented this way alternatives would need to be provided.

Currently we don't do the spacebar thing really well, since you need to press
the spacebar a second time. Some time in the future, I'll investigate whehter
Qt4 makes that easier. And we could add the MMB thing, since it would be
redundant but handy for the people who are used to it.

> If Krita (and Karbon) supported switching between multiple different set of
> keybindings I might be interested to put together a set of Photoshop style
> keybindings for Krita as well as revisiting my previous attemtps at nudging
> the defaults further in that direction as much as possible.

I've raised that point on kde-core devel. It seems to me that a simple
combobox in the settings/shortcuts dialog would do ui-wise, but I haven't got
a clue about what's needed for the backend. Maybe just and extension of the
rc files we use to define shortcuts.

> I recently helped add sets of keybindings in the style of Adobe Illustrator
> and Macromedia Freehand to Inkscape.  It is somewhat tedious work and might
> take a while but I work I would be willing to do the same to help out Krita
> and Karbon if I thought there would be someone interested in providing the
> necessary graphical interface for switching between full sets of
> keybindings.

There is interest, but don't start work until we know we can do the
gui/backend bit.

> hmm.  "layer palette has lots of free space" not sure I agree with that.
> feels about right to me, putting in a drop down for layer types would use
> up more space and make things even more cramped
> (i prefer smaller displays with higher resolutions, I expect you have a
> desktop size far in excess of 1024x768)

I've got 1680 * 1050, and I feel very cramped at times :-).

<... about the layers dialog ...>

Interesting points: thanks for the information. I'll be taking it into account
in my ruminations. For now, I'm tending towards

menu: show dialog (menu's are essentially the beginner mode of user interfaces
according to About Face.
button: create silently
shortcut: show dialog
other shortcut: create silently

In any case, since layers don't have a size in Krita, the dialog is much less
useful than in the Gimp. It doesn't often happen that you want a layer with a
different colorspace than your image, and if you want to change the layer
opacity, the slider is right in your face. I'm not sure if the new layer box
supports in-place editing of the layer name?

> (* techincally it did but it was buried in a context menu of the layers
> dialog with a shortcut that only worked when that dialog was in focus)
>
> I understand the Krita developers may want to do thing entirely differently
> but hopefully then can take all issues into account and make an informed
> decision.

Thanks for your input!