Real (not as buggy) indirect painting

Bart Coppens kde at bartcoppens.be
Sat Aug 26 19:26:00 CEST 2006

Thanks to some discussions with Ilmari Heikkinen (kig) on IRC, I got
interested in making the indirect painting work more like people expect it,
and less buggy.

Basically, the most complained about problem with the current implementation
is (other than being hacky) that it still does not handle pressure-varying
opacity correctly. Another problem is that it, in fact, didn't handle
paintops other than OVER correctly. I even think that it didn't work at all
with layer masks and adjustment layers.
The first was partly solved by Ilmari by introducing a 'darken alpha' paintop,
and implementing it for rgba8. So I decided to see if I could make that work
better, and make the rest work, by getting rid of the temporary layer in the
layer stack, and replacing it with a temporary paint device inside the paint
layer itself.

Attached is a patch (combined with Ilmari's alpha darken) that fixes it for
regular paint layers (so no adjustment layers, masks or selections yet). I
think it's a bit hacky as well, but replacing something buggy and hacky with
something working and hacky might be worth considering for 1.6, Cyrille?

If this would get greenlighted for 1.6 I'll see what I can do about making
this work with masks and adjustment layers (and other colorspaces).

Bart