Krita Dodge/Burn: How??

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Aug 21 09:27:46 CEST 2006

On Sunday 06 August 2006 22:15, Dik Takken wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I checked out the new Krita a few months ago, I was completely
> astonished by its feature set. I am currently considering a switch from
> CinePaint to Krita for preparing slide scans for printing. Krita is much
> more stable and has more features than CinePaint does.

Thanks!

> Unfortunately, I fail to find out how to use the dodge or burn tools, two
> of the most important tools for working on slide scans. In CinePaint or
> GIMP, you can simply select the burn/dodge tool from the tool palette,
> choose which you want to use (burn or dodge) and what you want to
> burn/dodge (highlights/midtones/shadows). Then, just use the mouse and it
> does what you expect.

Well, we simply don't really have a burn/dodge tool yet. I'm not sure where to fit it in Krita's current design: it could be a separate tool, or it could be a paintop, similar to the brush, pencil and so on. In the first case, it would be possible to burn & dodge with a soft brush or a hard pencil, or with
the airbrush. In the second case, it would be possible to burn & dodge in straight lines or across a vector path.

> In Krita, there is no burn/dodge tool. There is only a 'Paint with
> Filters' tool, which seems to be a complex unification of multiple
> tools. In order to get what you need, you need to choose a mode, a
> filter, a color, opacity and you need to configure something that
> looks like an 'Adjust Curves' kind of thing.
>
> The dodge and burn tools seem to be implemented as a 'Mode'. I select
> the 'Burn' mode and leave everything else at their default values,
> because I don't know their function. When painting on the canvas, the
> effect looks like color inversion. When I change to the 'Dodge' mode, it
> seems to do what I expect. Except for the fact that you can't continue
> dodging until the image is completely white. The dodge tool seems to be
> limited somehow. Also, it seems to dodge midtones/highlights only.

Yes, painting with filters is cool -- but it's not what you want. You can use this tool to add extra redness, for instance, or paint sharpness onto the image.

> I tried looking in the Krita manual, but I can't find any information
> about how the whole 'Paint with Filters' system works. Can anyone explain
> please?

Well, we need still to write that section, I suppose. I'd need to dive back into the code for that, though. But it's basically just applying the chosen filter onto the area covered by the brush -- that's all. As if your brush area is a temporary selection.