gimp fileformat

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sun Aug 20 18:34:04 CEST 2006

On Monday 14 August 2006 16:06, Thomas Zander wrote:
> FYI:
>   "The GIMP finally has a documented file specification. The free image
> editor has long been criticized over the fact that its native image
> format was not publicly documented. Recently the issue came to a head,
> sparked unintentionally by discussions over the proposed OpenRaster
> graphics interchange format. Once the argument cooled off, however, an
> independent developer decided to tackle the problem head on. -NewsForge"
>
> http://programming.newsforge.com/programming/06/07/19/2041236.shtml
>
> So, what is the progress on OpenRaster.
> I recently got a request to write some content for GrokLaw which has a
> huge reading base. I'd love to do that on OpenRaster and the progress its
> making. Unfortunately I am completely not into this. So maybe someone
> else can co-write?

While it's nice that someone has documented xcf, xcf and openraster are not
related. Xcf is still slated to be replaced by something else in the next big
version of the Gimp, and it's still limited to 8-bit images. We might take
the opportunity to add a good gimp filter, or ImageMagick might do that, in
which case we get the filter for free.

I'm not sure how I'll proceed, personally, with OpenRaster. I'm going to try
and focus a bit more on what is fun for me and gives me energy, instead of
trying to do things I really cannot do. Designing an OpenDocument based file
format would be a prime example of a thing I haven't got a clue about,
really. But who knows... One is never too old to learn.