Krita Dodge/Burn: How??

Dik Takken D.H.J.Takken at phys.uu.nl
Sun Aug 6 22:15:58 CEST 2006

Hi,

When I checked out the new Krita a few months ago, I was completely
astonished by its feature set. I am currently considering a switch from
CinePaint to Krita for preparing slide scans for printing. Krita is much
more stable and has more features than CinePaint does.

Unfortunately, I fail to find out how to use the dodge or burn tools, two
of the most important tools for working on slide scans. In CinePaint or
GIMP, you can simply select the burn/dodge tool from the tool palette,
choose which you want to use (burn or dodge) and what you want to
burn/dodge (highlights/midtones/shadows). Then, just use the mouse and it
does what you expect.

In Krita, there is no burn/dodge tool. There is only a 'Paint with
Filters' tool, which seems to be a complex unification of multiple
tools. In order to get what you need, you need to choose a mode, a
filter, a color, opacity and you need to configure something that
looks like an 'Adjust Curves' kind of thing.

The dodge and burn tools seem to be implemented as a 'Mode'. I select
the 'Burn' mode and leave everything else at their default values,
because I don't know their function. When painting on the canvas, the
effect looks like color inversion. When I change to the 'Dodge' mode, it
seems to do what I expect. Except for the fact that you can't continue
dodging until the image is completely white. The dodge tool seems to be
limited somehow. Also, it seems to dodge midtones/highlights only.

I tried looking in the Krita manual, but I can't find any information
about how the whole 'Paint with Filters' system works. Can anyone explain
please?

Thanks a lot!

Dik