The future of selections and masks in Krita

Casper Boemann cbr at boemann.dk
Tue Aug 1 18:21:04 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 01 August 2006 17:51, Bart Coppens wrote:
> > But to me this suggests that we should take the write protecting out of
> > selections and into "edit masks". Now for all intents and purposes this
> > will give us exactly what boud wants but just not calling it selections,
> > but "Edit masks" (or some other name if you like)
>
> Won't that just move your 'hell' (I wouldn't call it that) from selections
> to masks?
No because the "hell" is about not knowing what you selection is. So as soon
as it isn't a selection anymore I don't concider it a hell.

> Furthermore, how would you differentiate between edit masks and a
> global selection (yeah I know, implementation detail, but still).
yeah implementation. We have other colors than blue available, and besides
it's not inconcievable that users might want to hide the visualisation once
they have the editing mask in place ( a toggle )

> > This will allow us to have a single global selection (good for
> > consistency with other apps) and still have all the things you want. In
> > fact apart from taking the cut/copy and "source for transform" out of it,
> > and a namechange it is _exactly_ what you want.
>
> Yeah, but will the selection tools edit only the selection (like edit
> tool), and not the edit mask? Because then we'd have an extra step to take
> to have this edit mask filled with the similar color selection tool.
Good point. In practice I think you would buoild up your mask in the selection
and then convert it to a edit mask. so no immediate problem.

However it might be good to have an "append selection to mask" in addition to
the plain "create mask from selection" in case you want to modify it that
way.

Anyway I'm sure  this is just implementation detail

--
best regards / venlig hilsen
Casper Boemann