The future of selections and masks in Krita

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Aug 1 16:35:39 CEST 2006

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006, Casper Boemann wrote:

> > I think that the original use-cases where completely centered on Arthur and
> > forgot all about Claire.
> That was kind of intentional as I don't see usecases for Claire regarding
> selections. She wants to paint and paint over and maybe use an eraser. She
> might want to use masks akin to stencils with a airbrush

Actually, selections are used a lot when doing artistic work. Not necessarily
in the outline stage, but quite a lot in the coloring stage, when doing line-art
type work. And when painting, most artists will create a couple of layers
(background, props, several layers for the figures, which may in themselves
consist of several layers), create a number of selections on a layer, fill
them with patterns and gradients, paint around them, using the sharp edge
the selection provides for special line effects and so on. This is similar
to using a paper mask when airbrushing -- but then inverted, of course, which
are not quite the same as stencils when airbrushing, I think..

Roey Katz (if I remember correctly) once posted a couple of nice links to
tutorials for artists, and there is a _fabulous_ book (but expensive, fifty
euro's) about using Corel Painter that shows off the way Clair, if she's
competent, will use selections.

Boudewijn