Animated GIF's

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Apr 18 23:26:18 CEST 2006

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, Scott Bicknell wrote:

> On Tuesday April 18, 2006 5:44 am, BERGER Cyrille wrote:
>
> > Anyway the problem is more "how to support it ?" And maybe you
> > can help us on that point. Do we go the Gimp way ? (a stack of
> > layer for each frame) or do we try something new, and then
> > what ? --
>
> The easy part would probably be simply supporting the timing
> information gif89a includes, which I believe ImageMagick already
> supports. Gimp has that by default. The hard part would be
> supporting the kind of effects offered by the GAP plugin, which
> relies on treating Gimp files as multi-layer frames--very ugly
> at best.

I'm suspecting that we would need a really dedicated interface for
this, especially if you want to make it easy to use, with cells
and so on. Recently an application got open sourced with exactly this
goal, but I've both forgotten the name & I never got it to build.

> And that raises the question of how much support for animation
> you want Krita to include. Supporting the gif89 animation
> features would not be all that difficult, but it would be
> limiting. Perhaps this is better implemented as a separate
> application altogether, or at least an optional add-on to Krita.
>
> I suspect that a separate app that concentrates on animation
> would be better. This could be something that can output gif,
> mng, swf, mpeg, etc., and let Krita stick to the primary
> mission--image authoring and editing.
>
> But I'm not a developer, so I can't really speak to these issues
> with any degree of authority. You guys would know better than I
> if this is the right thing for Krita.

I don't think we've decided (which is dangerous, because it means that
a patch will almost automatically be applied), but personally I'm not
sure that we should add a lot of gui to Krita's main interface to enable
animation. But we might want to hook into KPresenter for that: KPresenter 2.0
is going to have some nice animation effects and should be able to save to
mng or animated gif. And KPresenter 2.0 will be able to blend Krita images
and Karbon vectors.

Boudewijn