Animated GIF's

Scott Bicknell sbicknel at cox.net
Tue Apr 18 15:19:32 CEST 2006

On Tuesday April 18, 2006 5:44 am, BERGER Cyrille wrote:

> Anyway the problem is more "how to support it ?" And maybe you
> can help us on that point. Do we go the Gimp way ? (a stack of
> layer for each frame) or do we try something new, and then
> what ? --

The easy part would probably be simply supporting the timing
information gif89a includes, which I believe ImageMagick already
supports. Gimp has that by default. The hard part would be
supporting the kind of effects offered by the GAP plugin, which
relies on treating Gimp files as multi-layer frames--very ugly
at best.

And that raises the question of how much support for animation
you want Krita to include. Supporting the gif89 animation
features would not be all that difficult, but it would be
limiting. Perhaps this is better implemented as a separate
application altogether, or at least an optional add-on to Krita.

I suspect that a separate app that concentrates on animation
would be better. This could be something that can output gif,
mng, swf, mpeg, etc., and let Krita stick to the primary
mission--image authoring and editing.

But I'm not a developer, so I can't really speak to these issues
with any degree of authority. You guys would know better than I
if this is the right thing for Krita.
--
Scott