[Inkscape-devel] [Fwd: Invitation to Participate in Summer of Code 2006]

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sun Apr 16 20:57:31 CEST 2006

On Saturday 15 April 2006 23:14, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On 4/15/06, bulia byak wrote:
> > > Adobe has gone the closed, proprietary API for their plug-ins now.
> > > There is a gaping hole for a simple bitmap effects plug-in system that
> > > would work for both bitmap graphics programs and vector graphics ones.
> > >
> > > Just my two penny's worth.
> >
> > I think it's a great idea, overall. Have you discussed it with Gimp or
> > Krita developers?
>
> I would add digikam developers to the list of potentially interested
> developers

It's interesting -- but not easy! There's already an "open" specification for
plugins, that's mostly used by close source things. Difficult points are:
expose tiles or not, scanlines or not, iterators or not, and colorspaces. Oh,
and plugins -- just filters, or also tools, colorspaces, effects, imp/exp
filters? In Krita, everything can be a plugin :-)

That said, we need to do something. Adobe closing their API has really created
a whopping big opportunity for something open and better to oust them :-).

The person in the Krita team who's best suited to discuss this is Cyrille
Berger, not me.

I should be working on the OASIS pixel image proposal, but first it's going to
be Easter next week, and I'll be too busy to read mail until Monday 24.