Colorspaces and medium interactions

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Apr 3 12:31:16 CEST 2006

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, BERGER Cyrille wrote:

> sorry I don't have access to krita right now, and last time I tried
> watercolors the other palettes weren't disabled :)

I just tried, and if I create a watercolor image, only the watercolor palette
is shown. But there are some bad interactions with the way the palette library
remembers what palettes a user has selected.

> > I think we should have three color selectors active by default, and the
> > rest hidden at the user's option:
> >
> > * hsv colorwheel (but one with a triangle inside the circle, that one
> > seems to be preferred by artists above the one with the solid circle)
> > * swatches (the palettes palette)
> > * a placeholder for media paint selection.
> and then a placeholder for the palette associated with the currently
> selected colorspace could be offer as an option ?

We could do that, I think.

> and the history of
> colors goes in the swatches ?

That's a nice idea.

> even when you have a cmyk image ?

yes

> Well maybe I have selected to have
> the palette shown all the time then, I will check that. But because
> photoshop do something one way, doesn't mean we have to follow them.

Sure, but it does give a hint about the problem: people don't think
in colors as defined by a colorspace, they just select a color visually.
And you can do that with any color selector: there's no tight coupling.

Boudewijn