Krita's rendering model

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Sep 15 14:57:27 CEST 2005

On Thursday 15 September 2005 14:55, Bart Coppens wrote:
> On Thursday 15 September 2005 14:45, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > Oh, and what I forgot about: we already have something very close to a
> > full cache of the image, namely the projection layer. But I remember I
> > was thinking that we could, maybe, do without that being around at all
> > times.
>
> Yes indeed, I thought the same thing only yesterday evening or so. Because
> most of the times, we only composite a small part of the image, so a lot of
> data gets wasted because we usually store data for the entire layer there.
>
> And because we update it anyway each time a KisImage does renderToPainter
> it isn't very useful either. About the only time when we actually store the
> entire image in it is either when the image is small enough to be displayed
> at once, or when we zoom out. And when we zoom out, we don't actually need
> the entire image either since we can only display some pixels of it...

I just tested, and even invisible areas are composited when the image is
loaded for the first time, meaning that a 1600x1200 image gives us a
projection with an extent of

krita: Rendering onto projection RGB/Alpha (8 bits/channel), 1664, 1216

I'm now experimenting with a smaller projection of just the size a single
render rect.