Histogram idea

Casper Boemann cbr at boemann.dk
Tue Sep 6 11:39:24 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 06 September 2005 11:34, Bart Coppens wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 September 2005 11:16, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > Have you already experimented with that idea? Maybe it's an idea to
> > profile the histogram plugin, then.
>
> I thought Casper was going to do that, but I don't mind playing a bit with
> it.
Well, I was working on getting the histogram into the curves widget, and
though I eventually would have tried this it's not on the top of my todo
list. So please go ahead.

> > It's that I really don't want to make the tiles interface public,
> > otherwise this would be a job for a tile annotation class -- there are
> > other places where caching information per tile might speed up
> > calculations a lot. Photoshop, for instance, caches several views per
> > tile, down to a one-pixel color-corrected rgb represention of a tile, to
> > speed up redisplay.
>
> I don't want to make the tiles public as well, that's why I said we'd have
> to do not-so-nice things :-( The idea of caching several things per tile is
> probably a lot efficient than reiterating over each and every pixel again.
> Like an overview widget could be made fast if you didn't have to resize the
> entire image each time you update something.
A simple iterations of pixels in the _destination_ and only sampling 1 pixel
in the source per pixel in the destination would speed thumbnails and
previews up.

btw. I'm not doing anything these days as I wait for debian to upgrade to gcc
4.0 and kde 3.4.2 (any day now).

--
best regards / venlig hilsen
Casper Boemann