Histogram idea

Bart Coppens kde at bartcoppens.be
Tue Sep 6 11:34:14 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 06 September 2005 11:16, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> Have you already experimented with that idea? Maybe it's an idea to profile
> the histogram plugin, then.
I thought Casper was going to do that, but I don't mind playing a bit with it.

> It's that I really don't want to make the tiles interface public, otherwise
> this would be a job for a tile annotation class -- there are other places
> where caching information per tile might speed up calculations a lot.
> Photoshop, for instance, caches several views per tile, down to a one-pixel
> color-corrected rgb represention of a tile, to speed up redisplay.
I don't want to make the tiles public as well, that's why I said we'd have to
do not-so-nice things :-( The idea of caching several things per tile is
probably a lot efficient than reiterating over each and every pixel again.
Like an overview widget could be made fast if you didn't have to resize the
entire image each time you update something.

What we could try to do is simulating a tiles-like structure from the
KisPaintDevice(Impl) out, which then caches several things itself. As long as
there is a nice way to inform the paintdevice which parts are changed I think
it could be done...

Bart Coppens