Filters configuration

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Tue Oct 18 17:55:34 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 18 October 2005 12:39, Cyrille Berger wrote:
> if you find an usuability problem, you can fix all the
> configuration widgets in one row.

Ehm, no.

Example; KMail has a 'automatic collapse level' number  (see kmail config
dialog, appearance, message window).
The level 0 means no-automatic-collapse.
In a config file having 0 as an 'off' switch makes perfect sense, but in a
UI you want to be able to have a checkbox or a special value for that.

This is very hard to fix in a general manner, and if you do it I can
assure you that after 10 other such problems you will again start to use
UI files since its less work.
In the end data-models do not, and should not, map to a UI. APIs or even
data models just are not fit for general human consumption.

The main problem I forsee is programmers basically saying that its not
really a usability issue in their eyes.  After which I try to tell them
how to code (i.e. their job), but for some reason _that_ is always a
different issue..
--
Thomas Zander