Layer usuability idea

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Wed Nov 9 08:54:21 CET 2005

> Well, I auto reply because I made two screenshot of my current work in
> progress to explain my thoughts:
> http://youp.jexiste.fr/divers/layers_green1.jpg
> http://youp.jexiste.fr/divers/layers_green2.jpg

Oh photoshop screenshots ! not even krita :(

> You can see that turn layers green help me to work on the border of the
> character's face (which have a color to close to the background)

I have been following this thread for sometime, and I definitively agree with
you. (we all have been lost countless of time in different layers)

Turning on/off all the other layer is not a good enougth solution, because we
loose the global vision of the painting.

The tooltip that popup and indicate on which layer the pixel is, is again not
a good enougth solution, well you are drawing your line and you are wondering
where to make it go, so with this solution, you need to first go over all the
pixel and see if they are on the good layer and then do your painting. (btw
it would be a really nice addition to the color picker, a tooltip :
displaying a preview of the layer, the value of the color, and a "square"
showing the color in bigger).

With tainted layers, you keep a global vision of your work, and you have a
visual clue of the boundaries of your layer.

--
--- Cyrille Berger ---