coloradjustment work done - call for feature requests

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Tue Nov 8 11:22:22 CET 2005

so an other feature request : histogram reshape
So what I want : you select how the histogram should look (you draw it with a
curve, or you select from a library) and then the filter apply a
transformation to the image, and the final histrogram looks ahow you wanted
it to be. The image in attachement show the histogram before and the
histogram after.

Looking for some link I found that, I think it's closed to what I see : from
http://support.mediacy.com/answers/showquestion.asp?faq=36&fldAuto=333 :
"Histogram Equalization
Image-Pro provides several ways to automatically reshape a histogram. Using
the Contrast Enhancement command on the Enhance menu, you can optimize the
brightness and contrast characteristics by directing Image-Pro to stretch the
histogram to achieve the best possible contrast distribution for the given
image.
You can also use one of the specialized distribution functions provided by the
Equalize command on the Enhance menu. These histogram redistribution
functions enhance contrast and dynamic range in a nonlinear manner.

When you use the Equalize command, Image-Pro analyzes your image's accumulated
histogram and redistributes it to fit the shape you specify:

¨ Linear: Distributes the histogram equally across the intensity scale. This
function produces a high contrast image with the highest possible dynamic
range.

¨ Bell: Distributes the histogram evenly around the center of the intensity
scale. This function produces a high contrast image with less dynamic range
than the "Linear" distribution.

¨ Logarithmic: Concentrates the histogram at the low end of the scale. This
function produces a high contrast image with little dynamic range. It will
tend to darken the image overall. Useful for stretching the contrast in a
very light image.

¨ Exponential: Concentrates the histogram at the high end of the scale. This
function produces a high contrast image with little dynamic range. It will
tend to lighten the image overall. Useful for stretching the contrast in a
very dark image."