Layer usuability idea

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sun Nov 6 21:10:59 CET 2005

On Sunday 06 November 2005 14:12, Mr YouP wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I'm still following Krita's developpment with ot of interrest. Thinking
> about it and about what annoying me in current painting software I'm using,
> I've got an idea which derivated of the way Krita handle selection.
>
> It's about layers, when I'm painting on an image I very often paint on the
> "bad" layer (mean I though I was on a layer and actually I'm painting on
> the one just next to). So I said to myself, why not have a mode that
> display the current layer in the way that Krita display a selection (select
> part/layer in "clear", the other filtered by a light color). That should be
> an optionnal mode of course. We can also imagine that each layer could have
> is own color that we can figured in a second wich part of image own to
> which layer.
>
> Just an idea I want to give...

Basically, what you need is a visual cue that you're on the layer you intend.
I'm not sure the colouring scheme would work, but we may find a way to do
this. For instance, by stealing a leaf from windowmanager, and have an osd
popping up for a short time telling you on which layer you are. I think
you're definitely onto something. Maybe our resident interaction guy has an
idea? CC'd to him.