please review transform tool

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sun May 22 21:20:23 CEST 2005

On Sunday 22 May 2005 19:59, Casper Boemann wrote:
> Hi
>
> Could all of you please review the transform tool
>
> Is it ready for 1.4 ?

Well, I have some doubts. It's definitely much better than it was a week ago,
but since it doesn't support either rotation or shearing, and we have already
a move too, the only thing it does is resizing. That is a useful function,
but at the same time, the performance is not really interactive and
especially with resizing, it's important to have user feed-back as to
dimensions -- which we cannot have without a new tool option panel.

There a number of work flow issues, too. For instance, if there is no
selection, and you select the transform tool, a selection is created. In
those cases, I'd expect the selection to be cleared when selecting another
tool.

Use case:

* Open image
* Select transform
* Scale image down
* Select rectangular select
* Select an area -- dash it! There's a selection, but no replace selection.
* Deselect all
* Select the area again
* Select crop tool
* Crop the selected area

That was just my intuition about how I would go about it -- nothing thoroughly
tested. Maybe we've just got enough code to start asking the nice people from
OpenUsability on some input -- Krita is now stable enough not to crash all
that much and polished enough to make opinions possible.