Bump-mapping

Casper Boemann cbr at boemann.dk
Wed Jun 29 23:32:48 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 29 June 2005 22:50, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> Does anyone know of a good source for an algorithm of really, blindingly
> fast bump-mapping? In between toolbox code I'm working on the rendering of
> the wet & sticky paint, and since that's a height field, basically, it
> would probably be best rendered using bump-mapping. So... What is
> bump-mapping when it's at home?
bumpmapping is expensive in software.

for each pixel you need to calculate the surface normal(that was what the
algorithm melchior showed you does). A bumpmap is actually a bitmap of
surface normals.

and then vector mulitply by the direction light source and mulitply with the
direction to the viewer. A whole lot of expensive floatingpoint calculations.

But since we can define a fixed lightsouce and a fixed viewer, we might get
away with it.

--
best regards / venlig hilsen
Casper Boemann