[Lcms-user] 2 Linux profile packages

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Jun 6 17:57:45 CEST 2005

On Monday 06 June 2005 10:00, Casper Boemann wrote:
> exactly what I have said all along :-)
> but I guess that they don't have wetcolor profiles, so we need to think of
> how to handle that.
> What I say is: from rgb with lcms to xyz and from there with our own
> conversion to wet
> even better would be to create profiles for wet so we can go lcms all the
> way

That would limit us to maximally 16 channels of 16 bits per pixel. I'm also
not sure that it is worth going directly between, say, wet and xyz and vice
versa. It's hard enough to render wet to rgb, and going from rgb to wet is
impossible.

By the way, here's the complete list of everything lcms supports:

                - 8 and 16 bits per sample
                - up to 16 channels
                - extra channels like alpha
                - swapped-channels like BGR
                - endian-swapped 16 bps formats like PNG
                - chunky and planar organization
                - Reversed (negative) channels
                - Floating-point numbers

lcms also has built-in profiles for rgb, lab, xyz and gray. It may be a good
thing for every Krita hacker who wants to work on color to read the lcms
tutorial, by the way. It's quite a clear document. There are lots of useful
things, like a function to compute the difference between colors and things
like that.

By default the following color models are supported:

gray, rgb(a), cmy(k), xyz, lab, yuv, hls, hsv.

(also in reversed format: bgra, frex)