Color Spaces - RGB, CMYK, YUV

Bart Coppens kde at bartcoppens.be
Sun Jun 5 11:39:16 CEST 2005

On Sunday 05 June 2005 09:08, Casper Boemann wrote:
> Just to make sure:
>
> KisColor should internally be based on XYZ (or lab), but not RGB. This to
> provide the largest possible gamut.
>
> The colorchooser should provide different colormodels for specification but
> should always store in KisColor and thus in XYZ (or lab).
Why would you want that? Consider that you have XYZ as internal
representation, and a YUV colorchooser. You want to paint with a certain
color, so you select it on the chooser. The chooser sets the canvas's current
color by converting the selected color from YUV to XYZ. You lose some
precision. Then you want to paint on the current canvas. The brush converts
the current color from XYZ to YUV. Second loss of precision.

Whereas storing KisColor in colorspace dependent format, we have YUV Chooser
-> YUV KisColor -> YUV KisBrush painting. 0 conversions, no loss of
precision. Now changing the target colorspace from XYZ to Lab, or to
something else is not going to solve that specific problem, unfortunately.
Now you could indeed provide some standard colorspace conversions from a
KisColor to XYZ, but I don't think this should be the default format of
colors.