Working on a new toolbox, dockers

Adrian Page adrian at pagenet.plus.com
Fri Jun 3 14:52:14 CEST 2005

Bart Coppens wrote:
> Now that is interesting. I once bought a cheap wacom tablet to play around a
> bit with, but I never got it to work with krita (gimp had no problems with
> it). But reading this mail, I realised what I had done wrong: the tablet
> device in my X11 config was labeled "WacomStylus" instead of "stylus". After
> renaming it, krita performs brilliantly with it! :-)

Great stuff. :-)

> Now I see that krita has some extensive code for dealing with 'raw' X11 events
> for tablets. Is there any reason why we still depend on Qt for tablet events
> then? Because, as far as I know, Qt doesn't come with tablet support by
> default. (I needed to manually enable a configure switch when I compiled
> qt-copy, and my stock Qt (debian) version doesn't seem to give krita tablet
> events)

There's no reason to depend on Qt for tablet support on X11 (Linux),
though if we want to stay platform independent (assuming we are...?),
it's good to have it there for everything else. One good outcome of
having krita bypass the Qt code is that the tablet support in Qt4 is a
lot better. I had a trolltech developer inquire about the reasons we
were doing what we do, and much of this is now provided by Qt4 directly.

Adrian