Working on a new toolbox, dockers

Bart Coppens kde at bartcoppens.be
Fri Jun 3 11:38:54 CEST 2005

On Friday 03 June 2005 00:33, Adrian Page wrote:
> Unfortunately the unique id as documented in QTabletEvent is not
> supported on Linux due to lack of support in the xorg/XFree86 driver,
> and hence in Qt. In fact, Qt/X11 (non-Irix) only recognises tools by
> name. "stylus" or "pen" is taken to be the one-and-only stylus, and
> "eraser" is taken to be the one-and-only eraser. It doesn't recognise a
> puck at all. This means that if you have more than one stylus, Qt can
> only see one of them as a tablet device. The KisCanvas code also shares
> this limitation at the moment as I haven't yet added the code to
> overcome this.
Now that is interesting. I once bought a cheap wacom tablet to play around a
bit with, but I never got it to work with krita (gimp had no problems with
it). But reading this mail, I realised what I had done wrong: the tablet
device in my X11 config was labeled "WacomStylus" instead of "stylus". After
renaming it, krita performs brilliantly with it! :-)

Now I see that krita has some extensive code for dealing with 'raw' X11 events
for tablets. Is there any reason why we still depend on Qt for tablet events
then? Because, as far as I know, Qt doesn't come with tablet support by
default. (I needed to manually enable a configure switch when I compiled
qt-copy, and my stock Qt (debian) version doesn't seem to give krita tablet
events)