Easy layer access for rgb8 filters.

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Jan 17 12:44:18 CET 2005

On Monday 17 January 2005 12:07, Casper Boemann wrote:
> On Monday 17 January 2005 10:53, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:

> > I haven't got an answer to that either, but I think that for now it's the
> > best we can do; if you for now assume that convertToQImage(0) will create
> > a QImage for you that contains the area that the users expect to be
> > filtered (whether that's currently true or not) you can continue working.
> > In the meantime, Casper can work on making that assumption true.
>
> committed

Of course, first we must know what the user expects about the
area-to-be-filtered.

I haven't got Photoshop here at the moment, but I've tested with the Gimp,
Photoshop Elements and Corel Painter. All of them do something different.

* Gimp: a layer has a definite size. If you move the layer or try to draw
outside the layer nothing happens; the layer doesn't grow at all. You can
even drag the complete layer outside the image.

* Elements: The size of a layer is the extent, precise to the last pixel.
Drawing extends the layer. I have to test with filling, but that means
another reboot.

* Painter: Layers grown with moving an painting. The size of the layer is the
image plus the changed parts of the layer that have been moved outside the
image. A layer always covers all of the image size.

And from memory, Photoshop acts a little different again...

Personally, I would prefer a pixel-accurate extent. Layers filled with a
background colour start out as big as the image -- i.e., write the background
colour to the layer making it extend as big as the image initially.

How hard would it be to keep track of the exact extent of a layer? I.e., in
the border tiles figure out what left-most, top-most, bottom-most and
right-most pixels are?