Krita presentation

Sven Langkamp longamp at reallygood.de
Mon Feb 28 01:38:55 CET 2005

On Sunday 27 February 2005 21:45, Michael Thaler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> my Linux User Group is organizing a Linux info event and I volunteered to
> give a talk about Krita there.  In the first part of my talk I want to
> present some general informations about Krita and I also like to introduce
> the developers of Krita. To this end, it would be very nice if you could
> answer some of the following questions:
>
> - Pleaese introduce yourself: (what is your name, where are you from and
> what is your profession)
Sven Langkamp. I'm from Germany and still go to school ( Abitur finishing in
two months).

> - When did you first hear of Krita, why did you get involved with Krita and
> what are your contributions?
I first heared of Krita a few years ago, but started about a year ago. I
mostly work on the UI, but also fixed some core functions.

> - Is Krita the first free software project you are working on or did you
> work on other projects?
Krita is my first one.

> - How much time do you usually spend working on Krita?
As the final exams are near, I currently don't spent much time hacking on
Krita. When I work on Krita that's mostly on the weekend and between 3 and 5
hours.

> - What motivates/keeps you motivated to work on Krita?
We are making progress! The Krita team (almost) stopped reinventing the core
and we are really nearing the first release. There there are many people
waiting for the first release of Krita( including some of my classmates).

I also learned many things about KDE development, design patterns and painting
apps.

> - Where does Krita has its strengths? What do you think is still missing
> badly in Krita?
Krita strength is the integration into KDE and KOffice. The code also easier
to understand than e.g. Gimp.
Missing are: speed, scriptability, a release ;) and of course like Boudwijn
stability, features and users.

> -What are your future plans for Krita?
Krita should become as intuitive as possible. My plan is plan is to give Krita
an unique indentity: Krita is not Kimp (many people still think this) and
will develop into a completly different direction. I hope we will be able to
present the users new ways of working with images.

After version 1.0 is finished I would like to extend Krita's scripting
interface. I'm a big fan of Python and Ruby and I think that they would give
developers a powerful tool to implement new ideas based on Krita.
( I also really hate the long compile times of C++)