For the next release

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Aug 11 16:16:57 CEST 2005

On Thursday 11 August 2005 16:13, Bart Coppens wrote:

> The problem is that we can't (well we can, but the results wouldn't be
> good, I fear) update the image from one thread for the effects and at the
> same time paint on it from the GUI thread. So we'd require some locking,
> which in it's most basic sense would be that we don't paint on it while we
> do the physics filter. So that specific solution would only add complexity
> and add no real added 'interactive' painting to the timers... :-(

If you use a timer, and every time the timer fires dry only a 10x10 area of
pixels, and make sure the areas you dry are distributed you might be able to
fake multithreading.

Actually multithread even read-only access to a paint device is something that
makes Krita crash in really boring ways. No stacktrace, nothing, not even an
alarm clock.