first use of kde3.4-only functionality

Melchior FRANZ mfranz at kde.org
Thu Apr 28 07:46:16 CEST 2005

* Adrian Page -- Thursday 28 April 2005 00:47:
> We can check the KDE version with a #if KDE_IS_VERSION(...), so no need
> for a configure check.

good

> Another, and probably better, option is to monitor the QKeyEvents we
> receive and then remember the modifier states each time they change.

Except that modifier changes don't trigger QKeyEvents, nor any other
event, right? AFAIK you only get those in mouse-move, button-press etc.
events or in key events that were triggered by pressing a *non-modifier*
key. But modifiers alone do nothing. So, polling in a timer event seems
the only way to get them. (I wonder why a kapplication function was
changed within a 3.* release.)

> A third option is to fix the key event handling for the canvas, as at
> the moment, implementing KisTool::keyPress/keyRelease doesn't deliver
> any key events to the tool. That needs doing at some point.

Leaving the polling for modifier keys to the architecture was my original
idea. Boudewijn meant that I should do it in that single tool first, and
that we should move it some level up in the hierarchy later (and I was
not unhappy with that advice ;-).

m.