Select-by-color range and .isSelected()

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Fri Apr 1 13:55:51 CEST 2005

I'm now at a point where I do have something nearly working in the colorrange
dialog (although I must admit that I'm stumped about the correct algorithm,
can't seem to be able to think something up), but now I've found the next
issue:

Selection is not an on/off binary value, but a range. The isSelected() method
returns a boolean to the filters, and that's the first place where we go
wrong. It's not clear to me how we should handle a 50% selected pixel,
either.

Desaturate is easy: just halve the saturation in the hsv representation of a
pixel. But oilpaint? Sharpen? What would be the meaning of 69% selected
there? Blit the sharpened pixel with 69% opacity over its original?

Finally, I cannot seem to be able to get the selection preview or the
selection mask done with a nice grayscale effect, the effect remains bitmappy
on/off whatever I do.