Painting on a temporary layer

Bart Coppens kde at bartcoppens.be
Sat Sep 25 16:22:23 CEST 2004

Quoting Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org>:
> What I wonder, though, is why it makes a difference when we already have a
> temporary layer in the paint ops. If I understand it correctly we have
> always used the following
> Which with temp layers becomes:
Yes, that's exactly what I tried to change.

> I think I see... You shouldn't take already filtered data in step 3, but the
> original data. But even after step 3 in the original process, we still have
> the original unfiltered data. But it's hidden in the undo information. If we
> had a way of taking data during paint from the layer state before we started
> painting, instead of from the affected tiles, we wouldn't need a temporary
> layer.
I thought of that, too, but as you say it feels a bit hacky. And before I try
that at least the basic idea has to work before the hacking can start.

> > > KisView::updateCanvas() ?
> > I'll try that, thanks for the idea.
> I took a look at the code KisView uses to add a new layer, and that seemed
> one of the significant differences.
Unfortunately, adding
m_subject -> canvasController() -> updateCanvas();
doesn't seem to make a difference :(

Bart Coppens