Preview release

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Sep 23 00:09:59 CEST 2004

On Thursday 23 September 2004 00:06, Navindra Umanee wrote:

> I didn't mean backporting or branching...  My question[1] was, isn't
> it possible to install the needed libs in parallel with the existing
> KOffice?

Frankly, I wouldn't know. I cannot imagine, given the amount of grief I've had
(mostly through my own cloth-headedness) that it will be smooth sailing
for the majority of even the people who are tempted to checkout a preview
release. I thought -- and still think -- that it's better to issue a dire
warning, than to be responsible for lost work days through killing KWord.

> I understand your answer to that is already "no" or that it's
> non-trivial...

Fraid so, but not sure.

> Cheers,
> Navin.
>
> [1] ...And I'm *quite* ignorant of the details of KOffice library
> installation.  My KOffice is perpetually broken due to mucking around
> with libs/base...  if it's not missing .desktop files it can't find
> this part or that... so I'm easily convinced it's very hard to manage
> this particular installation situation.

I've a simple solution: I always run KOffice HEAD. It mostly works quite well.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | "Geef mij maar zuurtjes."