Too many dockers...

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Sep 21 11:31:04 CEST 2004

I noticed recently that we've now got some very cool new brush shape tabs in
Krita. It took a while, because the tabs got hidden behind the little arrow
buttons that indicate that there are more tabs but that are too small to see
on a high resolution screen...

So I've now split that docker in two dockers: one for brush shapes, one for
area fills. Of course, that means that the dockers don't fit along the
right-hand side of Krita anymore, not even on my 1600x1200 panel. And I want
to add a docker for paint ops. For the moment, I've made the tool options
docker floating, but I haven't found a way to move it to the left-bottom
corner like in Fractal Painter.

Anyway, we need a better solution, and I'm afraid we're going to have to write
a new widget ourselves. Something like a combobox, only with options in a
row, where pattern, brush shapes or paint ops can be selected from a fold-out
icon box like it's done right now, but the five most recently selected are in
a single row, and can be selected more quickly.

Gradients should be shown in a plain combobox, then they're longer and it
would be easier to judge what a gradient looks like.

Oh, and I've made a default-tools plugin with all current tools. Spent most
of the train journey to Brussels doing that. It was a long-standing wish of
Patrick Julien that the tools would become KParts, but that's with the
current way of assigning separate instances of tools to pointer devices not
really possible, so I solved it the same way as for paint ops. Anyway... New
tools in a separate plugin, modeled on the tools plugin I'm going to checkin,
please.

(One problem is the .rc file. Haven't got that working yet, but no doubt I'll
find a solution.)

--
Boudewijn Rempt | "Geef mij maar zuurtjes."