Sub-pixel positioning

Adrian Page adrian at pagenet.plus.com
Thu Mar 18 14:14:29 CET 2004

On Thursday 18 March 2004 8:42 am, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> Getting a tablet to work is definitely not as easy as it should... SUSE
> offers to configure it for you with sax2, but then fails horribly. I
> haven't managed to get it to run on my new laptop yet.

It was a lot harder than I expected, and that was following the step-by-step
instructions at http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net. It probably doesn't help
that I'm using a 2.6 kernel, but I thought it would be reasonably straight
forward. It was some combination of kernel update, modules vs. builtin, and
updated hotplug scripts that did the trick in the end.

> By the way -- the
> Intuos has tilt, hasn't it?

Yes, it has tilt. Haven't played around with it much yet but Painter uses it
so that you can point the airbrush in different directions, producing
ellipses or circles. I had wondered what tilt was used for until I saw that.
Very nice.

I've managed to get it to work in krita now but something odd is going on as
it's impossible to draw straight lines (with the brush tool). They're always
rough and jagged, as though my hand was shaking badly. The strange thing is
that even if I put a ruler on the pad and draw along the edge of that, it's
still rough and jagged. Haven't investigated why yet, but it works fine in
the gimp.

Adrian