Layers, layergroups, dockwindow, preview and dynamic layersize

Adrian Page adrian at pagenet.plus.com
Fri Jul 2 17:38:08 CEST 2004

On Friday 02 July 2004 3:27 pm, Casper Boemann wrote:
> If as you belive the paintdevice should take arguments in imagespace then
> there is no need for the extent functions. The x() y() width() height() of
> present could do just a good a job.

No, I'm in favour of using layer-space coordinates for the paint devices, i.e.
use paint device coordinates for paint devices. It's simple to give the tools
these coordinates, as well as image space coordinates if they need them.

I also think using the extent functions makes sense since then the layer's x
and y give the coordinates of its origin, which will only change when the
layer's moved. It seems a cleaner way of doing things than having x and y
(potentially) changing as you extend the layer.

I think what you've done is fine, my main concern is that krita is already a
complex application and changing a core part of it can introduce many
problems. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be done, and it doesn't mean it
should be done in a different way.

> If you agree I would do the paintdevice rework this weekend. Again I would
> do it over several stages with the actual dynamic behavour coming later.

See what the others think, but it's Boudewijn's call in the end.

> The first day wasn't wasted because I learned a lot about krita that way.

It definitely wasn't wasted, whether you use the code or not. Hacking away is
always the best way of getting an understanding of it.

Adrian