Design idea

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sat Feb 7 08:50:58 CET 2004

On Saturday 07 February 2004 03:10, Sven Langkamp wrote:

> There could be a docker which shows the properties of the current tool.

That would be a Good Thing -- I've been messing with the old tool dialogs
dialog solution, which is no halfway from modal to modeless, but still an
old dialog, and a docker would be better.

> The dockers in the screenshot are not sharing code with Karbon. At the
> moment only these two docker are already implemented and working, so maybe
> there will be more shared code later.

One interesting Karbon widget is their colour selector which has a CMYK tab --
we need something like that, too.

> I'm looking for a good place for the control and the colorchooser, perhaps
> you have an idea where to put them. Should they be together in one
> dockwidget?

Mmm. I think a separate thingy for the control (you do mean the bit where the
currently selected brush etc. show up, don't you?) would be better. One
problem is that Krita can have only one active tool: that should change soon,
because now there's a working eraser tool, I want to be able to assign the
eraser to the eraser tip of my stylus, and the brush tool to the tip. That
means that we need a list of active tools, with their settings, for each of
the pointing devices -- which is an open list, because people with a better
tablet than me can buy an airbrush stylus etc. from Wacom, and have a lot of
current tools. Qt supports that perfectly, so we should too. But if the list
of tools gets large, sharing a docker with the colour selector becomes less
comfortable.

It would be nice, if there are to be a large number of dockers, if we can
shade the dockers. Each docker could show the currently selected item in
shaded mode, and all the items in rolled-out mode.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi