bicubic interpolating zoom

Michael Thaler michael.thaler at ph.tum.de
Mon Aug 16 09:20:46 CEST 2004

Hello,

I just implemented a very simple bilinear scaling algorith. It is a very
simple algorithm, but the resulting image does not look too bad if the scale
factor is not too small or too large (e.g. if it is in the range 0.5 - 2). I
attached the diff.

However I discovered some problems:

* the code is much slower then Boudewijn's old algorithm
* if you scale an image that is bigger then the visible part of the screen,
there will be some artefacts: rectangular black regions that are sometimes
filled with garbage. If you scale an image down so that it is smaller then
the visible part of the screen, you cannot make them go away. If you scale it
up you can make these artefacts go away by moving the visible part of the
image.

Can someone check if this also happens with the old algorithm?

I will try to find out how scaling is done in the GIMP. However, I downloaded
the source code of the GIMP yesterday and glanced over it and I wasn't able
to find the relevant code. I think I will need some time to find the relevant
parts.

Greetings,
Michael