Hi - I'm new...

Sven Langkamp longamp at reallygood.de
Thu Aug 12 00:32:12 CEST 2004

Saem Ghani wrote:

>Bah, spoke to soon.  I'll forewarn folks, it's late so expect sentences to be
>missing words out right and things won't make sense -- proof reading doesn't
>help much this late.
>
>So here is how it's breaking down, a lot of the GUI is using QT classes where
>it could be using KDE counter parts which seem better, out right.  Mind you,
>I'm not sure how feasible this is with KOffice, since Krita has to be a
>KPart.
>
>Basically, the GUI needs some fairly large work in terms of the underlying
>elements used.  First the main window needs to be a KDockMainWindow class.
>This is a must according to the information presented in the class
>documentation.  After that a KDockManager is setup which handles docking
>rules and keeps track of various tidbits, like positions, dockings and so on,
>with a nice little side effect of easily working with KConfig to save
>preferences.  Other possible benifits.  The user would be able to move tabs
>from one dock to another.  The user would be able to group docks to each
>other rather than just to the main window.
>
>Easy references for the class details:
>KDockMainWindow Class Documentation
>http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/cvs-api/kdeui/html/classKDockMainWindow.html#_details
>KDockManager
>http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/cvs-api/kdeui/html/classKDockManager.html#_details
>KDockWidget
>http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/cvs-api/kdeui/html/classKDockWidget.html#_details
>KTabWidget
>http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/cvs-api/kdeui/html/classKTabWidget.html#_details
>KConfig
>http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/cvs-api/kdecore/html/classKConfig.html#_details
>
>After some feedback and some sleep, I'll start working on a coherent
>implementation plan which should help catch potential pitfalls.

You are right there are many QT classes in the UI code. Some parts of
the code are now nearly four years. My intention was that Kritas docker
could be shared between Krita and Karbon. It's a good idea to use the
new tabwidget classes from KDE 3.2 .

The problem with KDockMainWindow has been discussed some days ago. Using
KDockMainWindow would break the KOffice compatibility. Even though I
would prefer an Kexi like interface with KMDI.
For now we have only the limited docking functions of a
KMainWindow/QMainWindow.