Hi - I'm new...

Saem Ghani saem-ghani at shaw.ca
Tue Aug 10 12:58:44 CEST 2004

On Monday 09 August 2004 22:29, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 August 2004 04:15, Saem Ghani wrote:
> > I'm starting to work on the moveable tabs.  I did some googling and
> > stumbled upon KTabWidget, which is a child to QTabWidget, the latter is
> > used to do the tabbing for the dockers.  So starting with the color
> > docker I replaced instances of the latter with the former.  Which I
> > presume should work perfectly, since the only real issue is if
> > currentPageIndex() method is called, so far I can move the tabs by middle
> > clicking on them and dragging them about..  So the replacement seems to
> > work, I'll set that up for the rest of the dockers and play with them.
> > After that I'll move to saving the configuration.
>
> Cool!

Bah, spoke to soon.  I'll forewarn folks, it's late so expect sentences to be
missing words out right and things won't make sense -- proof reading doesn't
help much this late.

So here is how it's breaking down, a lot of the GUI is using QT classes where
it could be using KDE counter parts which seem better, out right.  Mind you,
I'm not sure how feasible this is with KOffice, since Krita has to be a
KPart.

Basically, the GUI needs some fairly large work in terms of the underlying
elements used.  First the main window needs to be a KDockMainWindow class.
This is a must according to the information presented in the class
documentation.  After that a KDockManager is setup which handles docking
rules and keeps track of various tidbits, like positions, dockings and so on,
with a nice little side effect of easily working with KConfig to save
preferences.  Other possible benifits.  The user would be able to move tabs
from one dock to another.  The user would be able to group docks to each
other rather than just to the main window.

Easy references for the class details:
KDockMainWindow Class Documentation
http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/cvs-api/kdeui/html/classKDockMainWindow.html#_details
KDockManager
http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/cvs-api/kdeui/html/classKDockManager.html#_details
KDockWidget
http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/cvs-api/kdeui/html/classKDockWidget.html#_details
KTabWidget
http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/cvs-api/kdeui/html/classKTabWidget.html#_details
KConfig
http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/cvs-api/kdecore/html/classKConfig.html#_details

After some feedback and some sleep, I'll start working on a coherent
implementation plan which should help catch potential pitfalls.