Hi - I'm new...

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Aug 9 21:09:52 CEST 2004

On Monday 09 August 2004 20:32, Saem Ghani wrote:

> <_< I should have known that from God knows how many make install clean 's
> I've done in freebsd.

There are quite a few apps that you could indeed run 'in place', but Krita is
like every KOffice app a KPart, which means it only works when installed
because otherwise the KDE parts mechanism isn't going to find the lib. It's a
bit of a chore: you always have to install before seeing the result of your
new code.

> So in anycase, everything seems to be working.  Personally, I'd like to
> work under someone who's more experienced before I go off on my own,
> allowing me to shake off the rust.  If anyone can spare the time, drop me a
> line, thanks in advance.

The best thing would be to take some part that's most interesting to you.
Krita is still rather small, but even so, there are bits that you probably
shouldn't touch right away, like the tile manager. There are already two or
three people working on that...

A really easy job would be to code d&d of tabs in the dockers, as discussed
recently on the mailing list.

If you're more ambitious, you could consider making the colour selection
docker a bit more useful. There are the following things missing (apart from
a really cool mixing palette):

* A CMYK slider similar to the rgb/hsv/gray sliders we have now.
* A widget that lets you select from a number of colours with one click. We
have one when you double click on the colour button, but that's not really
comfortable to use.

If you want to do this, you should first look for existing code that does this
(e.g., the CMYK slider thingy is in Scribus, while porting it, you need to
compare Scribus CMYKColor to Krita's KoColor and change code accordingly.)
Then you need to integrate the widget into the tabs. Below the tabs with
sliders we should have a few palette-like colour selectors, like a colour
wheel and a dab * mix palette. You need to check whether there's already a
GPL, LGPL or BSD licensed colour wheel or triangle you could use; and then
you need to either integrate that, or code one yourself.

Anyway, I've attached a png of a color docker with an extra row of tabs for
easy color picking, and a png of Scribus' cmyk color sliders.

If you've found the code you want to adapt, or have started a design for the
code you need to write, I'm quite willing to look through the code and give
advice wherever possible.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi