MDI or SDI?

David Johnson david@usermode.org
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 23:09:12 +0000

On Saturday March 10 2001 06:49 am, Jono Bacon wrote:

> One thing which I feel is seriously letting Krayong down at the moment, is
> that it does'nt use the MDI style that Photoshop uses for displaying
> multiple documents within the Krayon window. I know from personal
> experience as a web designer, that this method of accessing multiple
> documents is essential, and Photoshop's method of MDI is better than GIMPs.

This can almost be a religious issue for some people. The common opinion in
the Unix world is that the MDI model is wrong, to the extent that the KDE
style guide says not to do it. My opinion is that MDI is like HTML frames.
They need to be done very well or they suck. I don't like the typical MDI
that Windows uses.

But let John finish Krayon first. In the meantime, creating some mockups of
an appropriate interface would be worthwhile.

--
David Johnson