Fwd: Re: Need user feedback - PPC issues

Bart Szyszka bart@gigabee.com
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 13:05:04 -0500

> Currently Krayon is being developed by one person, myself, with no
> sponsorship.
> The immediate goal is to provide an easy-to-use painting app for
> Koffice, not to recreate Photoshop or Gimp.
How do you define a "painting app", though? Are interested in
recreating Windows paint so people can doodle sketches or are
you interested in creating a program one can use to create Web
and Print graphics (which one would use Photoshop/Gimp for)?
The former is useless and the latter is essential. I see nothing wrong
with tryng to create a Photoshop/Gimp competitor for the KDE
environment.

> Undo-redo is not a high priority for the initial release of Krayon, so
> long as it's open-ended enought to allow undo-redo for most actions to
> be hooked into the various tools, etc.
Maybe the second release? It would be extremely hard to get work done
in Krayon without at least a single-step undo/redo.

> Importing photoshop docs is not something I've even considered and will
> be in the distant future, if at all.  I've never used photoshop.  A higher
> priority is importing gimp .xcf files, and if it can be done through
> Gimp I'll probably choose that route.
Gimp can import PSDs. Can't you borrow the code?

> You must be, but not in that sense.  I haven't added the text tool yet -
> it will be similar to the other drawing tools - using Qt to mask the
> shape and then applying the color or gradient, etc., automatically, to
> the layer.
Antialiased text?

> Check the toolbar for options. All the drawing and painting tools now
> have options dialogs - the wrench button brings up options for current
> tool, or use the menu bar, "options" or "settings".  I'm also
> considering accessing the options for each tool with a right click on
> the tool button in the toolbar itself.
Speaking of the dialogs, Killustrator's and Krayon's UI are severely
different. Where in Krayon everything is docked on the right-edge of
the screen, Killustrator has all the palettes (what they're called in
Photoshop)/dialogs seperated and you can dock/undock them plus
they autohide. I'm not sure which one I'd actually prefer (well
Photoshop's tabs would be great... you can group and ungroup
them through drag and drop), but I'd be insane if they had two
completely different UI's for the same types of functions.

- Bart