Some UI nitpicks

David Johnson david@usermode.org
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 22:24:44 -0800

On Saturday 09 December 2000 09:55 pm, Bart Szyszka wrote:

> Exactly what kind of UI are you guys making? Graphic designers are
> extremely picky about their workspace (that's why I don't think that any
> sane graphic designer would move to Linux right now... the Gimp is a space
> hogger) and it'd be nice if Krayon had a UI similar to Photoshop were you
> could make everything that you need fit easily reachable to you without
> wasting half of the screen space.

It's actually going to turn out quite nice and be easy on the screen real
estate. I was just nitpicking on some menu layouts.

Krayon has a "sidebar" on the right that contains color editors, brush
pickers, layer controls, etc, all laid out sensibly (to my eye). There is a
toolbar on the top, and a tools toolbar on the left. The rest of the window
is devoted to the image, tabs to switch between multiple images, and a
statusbar.

One thing that does concern me (and was argued to death several months ago)
are the gradient dialogs. Currently these open up in a fake dialog/mdi box,
very similar to the horrible way that StarOffice has its dialogs. They don't
take up screen real estate, but they're in front of the image. And since they
aren't real dialogs, you can't move them off of the main window. In my
opinion they should be moved to the side bar. Perhaps a panel that is
sensitive to which tool is selected.

--
David Johnson