WebCore 146

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Wed Jul 7 08:17:45 CEST 2004

On Jul 6, 2004, at 5:03 PM, Zack Rusin wrote:

> On Tuesday 06 July 2004 18:38, Dave Hyatt wrote:
>
>> Breaks down primarily into:
>> (1) Performance (style system improvements and atomization of
>> attribute values).  We're about 30% faster.
>
> Yeah, that's the thing we'll have to merge. I think Dirk started
> looking
> into it and had problems figuring out where does the speed improvement
> come from. Do you recall what exactly caused such a huge speedup?

We actually did a lot of things to improve speed besides the two Dave
mentioned. A lot of them are outside WebCore though. You can find most
of them by looking for "speed improvement" or a percent sign in the
ChangeLog. The 30% is definitely not from just thows two things.

However, both the atomization change and style sharing change had
measureable improvments when we landed them. In particular the atomic
change says it was a 4-5% improvement in the ChangeLog.

There's also some huge speed improvements in JavaScriptCore/kjs,
including a partially conservative garbage collector that is not
enabled by default yet cause I have to make it support multiple
threads.

Regards,
Maciej