[Kget] Re: Compilation problem (libktorrent issue)

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Tue Oct 19 07:52:57 CEST 2010

Lukas Appelhans wrote:
> Since the last stable release of KDE KGet already uses libktorrent only!
> libbtcore is the former name of libktorrent btw...

Strange that libbtcore wasn't removed from my checkout on svn up. :-0 This
confused me a lot.

> I know of this compilation since today, the problem are SIC changes in
> libktorrent...

Not nice...

> After all what would fix it would be version-checks, but that is not
> provided by libktorrent yet... I plan to do this since some time already,
> but really never found the time etc... (if you are motivated to do it, go
> for it of course!)... this way we could support all different libktorrent
> versions...

Sincerely, my problem is that kdenetwork does not compile. I don't use
kget's bittorrent plugin, but I compile regularly the whole KDE from trunk,
and failing modules is what bother me. If somebody doesn't compile and I can
fix it easily, I do it. Now I couldn't as I didn't know what was going on.
 So far I disabled the plugin in cmake, so I can build the rest of
kdenetwork, but I thought it is better to notify the kegt developers as
well.
 My suggestion though is to not support too many libktorrent versions. If
its API breaks often, you will end up with ugly #ifdef's around your code.
Support the last released libktorrent version (at the time KDE 4.x.x was
released) and the trunk version in addition in KDE trunk, so people building
from svn can build the whole KDE stack from SVN.

Andras