D27523: Add an option to use a KUrlNavigator on the toolbar instead

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Feb 28 05:27:15 GMT 2020

ngraham added a comment.

  I have a confession to make: after living with the URL navigator in the toolbar for a few days, I'm feeling less sure about it. Putting the it there takes up all the remaining horizontal space in the toolbar, which reduces pretty substantially the amount of space available for toolbar buttons and makes it almost impossible to have any buttons with text, especially on small, narrow, or side-tiled windows. And without the visual changes proposed in T11662 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T11662>, the URL navigator's breadcrumbs mode looks visually muddy, and there's a large amount of space in the toolbar that looks draggable but actually isn't because it belongs to the URL Navigator.

  However there is clearly a desire for this by some people. So here's a potential counter-proposal: we make it configurable after all, but //don't// add a toggle in the menubar. Instead, people who want it in the toolbar can add this new `Url Navigator (auto-hide)` item to their toolbar, and it will automatically disappear from the main view. People who don't like it can just not add that item to their toolbar (or remove it, if we opt to make it the default).

  Thoughts?

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin