D27523: Add an option to use a KUrlNavigator on the toolbar instead

Méven Car noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Feb 26 15:33:25 GMT 2020

meven added a comment.

  One thing, move the new url_navigator left of sort By (to have some alignment with the view), or center it in the middle of the toolbar.

  In D27523#618385 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D27523#618385>, @felixernst wrote:

  > @manueljlin: Thanks! I hope so too.
  >
  > @ngraham: Thanks! Heavy split view users are also the only user group that came to my mind who would have a real reason to be upset if this wasn't optional. Maybe second-hand experience is the best we have to think about this change because no vocal split view user showed up in these discussions yet. Workflow example: I once had a lecturer (literally this guy <http://www.ma-weigand.didaktik.mathematik.uni-wuerzburg.de/weigand/images/weigand_juni_05.jpg>) who used a split view file manager (Total Commander or something, don't remember) fullscreen and keyboard-only as his primary means to interact with his notebook. He opened up presentations, pictures and GeoGebra-files to show them in the lecture. I think for such a use case having only one path visible at a time would probably be a big step down.

  I am a frequent split view user, and if I recognize the feature might slightly hurt my workflow, but marginally : Currently in split view mode, all navigation interaction except the url navigator require the user to give the focus to the desired split view. And at least for me the url navigator is not may main navigation workflow.
  All in all to me acceptable, configurable or not.

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin