Using Dolphin to manage a sound library (feature request)

Tobiasz Karoń unfa00 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 16:37:52 BST 2019

Hi!

I think Dolphin could add a simple feature that'd be very useful to
people managing audio libraries.

The F11 key shows the Preview Panel in Dolphin, where the user can play
back any audio or video content.

I've had a viewer asking me for a tool to quickly listen through a sound
file collection.

If there was a way to have Dolphin automatically play back audio file, once
it's selected (with the mouse or arrow keys) - that'd speed up a task of
seizing a lot of sound files quickly.

Or if there was a key that'd do that - for example the Space Bar seems to
be unused in Dolphin.

If pressing a Space bar would start/pause playback in the preview tab -
that'd be already a great improvement.

I think what would further help would be a waveform preview with a visible
playhead, that could also be moved with mouse or keyboard.

Looks like J/K/L keys could be used as a jog shuttle, like in Video Editors
- that'd be extra neat.

The same could work nicely for video files as well, though I have no idea
if sped up and reversed playback is supported by the current backend.

What do you think?

Does it make sense to implement such features in Dolphin?

--
- Tobiasz 'unfa' Karoń

www.youtube.com/unfa000