D20471: Add "What's This?" to nearly everything in the main window

Felix Ernst noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon May 27 13:55:14 BST 2019

felixernst added a comment.

  > Patch looks almost ready now.

  I'm happy to hear that!

  > ? Is this deprecation documented somewhere?

  Receiving the HelpMenu is deprecated in KMainWindow:
  KMainWindow::customHelpMenu 	(https://api.kde.org/frameworks/kxmlgui/html/classKMainWindow.html#aff97bcd122771b99b699a4837b728907)
  KMainWindow::helpMenu 	(https://api.kde.org/frameworks/kxmlgui/html/classKMainWindow.html#a669da563f6d8e85e6f590980593353b4)

  I was trying for days to make the links within the "What's This?"-help within the menus of the menubar react to WhatsThisClickedEvents. I couldn't find a way to install EventFilters to any menu in the menubar. This was only really a problem for the help menu because all but one link I wanted to add was there.
  I think I read somewhere that it was deprecated because all KDE applications should have the exact same help menu.
  The best solution might be to add event handling of WhatsThisClickedEvents to all menus of the menubars of all KDE applications. Probably somewhere in the class KMainWindow or KXMLGui.