D19661: Make global view properties the default setting

Roman Gilg noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun May 12 13:32:44 BST 2019

romangg added a comment.

  Just as user feedback: I don't want to say this new default is wrong, but it was annoying for me to find out that the default changed. I always sort my folder with downloads date-wise.

  I ignored the issue/change/inconvenience for weeks until I decided today to look up why this is not working. In the settings I then of course found the relevant option, but it was nevertheless annoying and exhausting. And via Google and a Reddit post I found this revision.

  So just imagine how a regular user must feel about this sudden behavior change, who relied on it like I did and who is not proficient in using his PC and all the hidden settings that there are. Again I don't say the new default is wrong, but neither can you tell me otherwise. Having different sort-settings for different folders can be a feature we want to have per default.

  If, like described in the commit message, you changed the default to work around the issue with dot-files until you find a solution for that I think you should have not done it but wait for this solution to materialize.

  If you changed it because you think it's a better default, as in what regular users expect, I might agree to that notion, but would have tried to gather some more data points before committing to a change of the default.

  Anyway this was meant just as food for thought when there is another default value in the future you want to change (I'm not saying you shouldn't at all).

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin